How to Open a Web Document in Excel
If you have Microsoft Excel 97 or later, you can open HTML documents in Excel in order to create charts or do further analyses. Here's how:
- While viewing in your browser the web page that contains the data you want to work with further, select "File" and then "Save As...".
- Navigate to the directory/folder to which you want to save the data.
- Verify that the file type is "HTML Files" (Netscape) or "Web Page, HTML only" (Internet Explorer).
- Press the Save button.
- In Excel, select "File" and then "Open...".
- Navigate to the directory/folder where you saved the data.
- Change the "Files of type:" to "HTML Documents".
- Select the file you saved and click "Open".
- Delete any unnecessary cells such as the header and any navigation links.
- Be sure to use the "Save As..." command to save the file as a Microsoft Excel Workbook in order to keep any analyses or charts that you may have added.
Page last updated
Friday March 09 2012