North Carolina Health Statistics Pocket Guide 1999
Health Risks in North Carolina's Adult Population
United States and North Carolina
You will need Version 4 or higher of the free Adobe Acrobat Reader to access
latest version from Adobe.
North Carolina and Counties
- Table 7. Demographic, Economic, and Health Resources Data
- Table 8. Selected Health Indicators
Tables 7 and 8 are also available as a Microsoft Excel Workbook.
References for the various data items are too numerous to list here, but
may be obtained from the State Center for Health Statistics. For the United
States and North Carolina comparisons in Tables 1-6 were largely abstracted
or derived from the following:
- Statistical Abstract of the United States 1999 (Bureau of the Census)
- Health, United States 1999 (National Center for Health Statistics)
- National Vital Statistics Reports, Births: Final Data for 1998 (National
Center for Health Statistics)
- Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report, Vol. 47, No. 53, 1999 and Vol. 48,
No. SS-4, 1999 (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention)
State and county population data were provided by the State Data Center,
Office of State Planning.
In most cases, table headings and footnotes provide definitions for the
reported statistics. Additional information needed for data clarification
includes the following:
- Number of States Higher
- This figure is given whenever the statistic or the required numerators and
denominators were available for states. NA means not available.
- Percent Change
- Increases and decreases are generally expressed in terms of average annual
percentages computed as the total percentage change divided by the number
of intervening years.
- Place of Event
- Except as otherwise noted, data are by place of residence.
- Some of the county-level rates of Table 8 have been adjusted for age. Thus,
the differences observed are due to factors other than the age distribution
of the populations. For smaller counties, the measures in Table 8 may be
unstable due to small numbers of events.
Department of Health and Human Services
Center for Health Informatics and Statistics
Page last updated
Friday March 09 2012